Everyone has seen much of the public discussions regarding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). I want you to know that Lunenburg County Public Schools will take necessary measures as a division that will be working together to ensure we are doing everything possible to “prepare, educate, and respond” should our area become directly affected.
As of today, Virginia has no confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus COVID-19. While we are unsure of the future impact of COVID-19 in our state, just as with cold and flu season, we should all do our best to help with prevention, and to also plan for a potential disruption to instruction if things change in any way. Please know we will follow the direction of the Virginia Department of Health as they monitor this situation. The school division does have a plan in place if we had to change how we deliver instruction due to any type of potential extended closing. As a precaution, we also encourage families to have plans in place to address things such as childcare needs, etc. if the need arises.
At this time, we have been advised to continue doing what we have been doing to combat the spread of seasonal illnesses. Our custodial providers diligently clean our schools on a daily basis, including cleaning all frequently touched areas to maintain a clean, safe environment. Additionally, here are some other practical things we can all do to prevent the spread of respiratory infections:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue into the trash and wash your hands. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow.
- Sick individuals should stay home. If running a fever, stay home until the fever has been gone for at least 24-hours, without taking fever-reducing medicine.
- Avoid close contact with others who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that are frequently touched.
- Seek medical care if needed/symptoms worsen.
Additional information regarding COVID-19 can be found on the websites of the Virginia Department of Health (http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus), Centers for Disease Control (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html), and the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU (https://www.chrichmond.org/blog/coronavirus-what-you-need-to-know).
We will continue to provide information to our staff and families as additional guidance is shared by public health authorities. Should you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact my office.
This information will be permanently accessible through a link titled "Coronavirus Preparation in Lunenburg Schools" on the menu section of the division's webpage under the Parents.
Charles M. Berkley, Jr. Superintendent, Lunenburg County Public Schools